Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ben's 1st People


Today on the way to school Ben had a little notebook that he was writing in. He says, "Mom, I drew a picture of dad dancing". He was holding it up so I could see it in the rearview mirror, and I was expecting more of his scribbles, but to my surprise he had drawn his version of a person. I told him to pass it up to me and I took a closer look and it made me chuckle under my breath because 1) it did kind of look like his figure was dancing and 2) of all people to draw dancing, I would not have expected him to draw John because John does not dance! I am constantly amazed at what his little mind comes up with. He then proceeded to draw each person in our family on a separate page. He actually made each kid a different size and made me skinny :) (that was sweet of him). After drawing each person, he would hold it up for my inspection and approval and then show Heidi. He drew our immediate family and then drew Grandpa. The paper fell to the ground and he said, "I dropped Grandpa! Where are you grandpa?" I suggested that he just draw another picture of grandpa, so he drew grandpa and grandma on the same page. We arrived at school as he was finishing that picture so it wasn't as detailed as the others. I got Heidi and Kate in the stroller and he was still in the car. I told him to get out so we could get to class and he told me very matter of factly, "Mom, I had to draw hair on the girls". And he had. I kept the little pictures in my purse today because they make me smile. It's funny how such little things can me so proud of my kids. So enjoy Ben's 1st family portrait!

No comments: